Friday 23 February 2007

Benefit fraud

Why should there be more benefits paid to single parents? Well, the trivial answer is that fewer funds coming in so they need more support. But what about from the perspective of a couple looking after their children? Why should they be paid less? I cannot imagine couples splitting up to get more benefits but there are couples who claim that they are single parents and claiming more. My objection is the lack of support from the government for being together as a family. I don't think you need any hard facts to justify that being together is more beneficial to society than being single. Bringing up children is difficult even when there are both parents. It is much tougher on your own so you will have much less opportunities to instil values. Also if you are feeling under pressure, the children will find the environment uncomfortable. The government should support families at least equally. The problem is, the bigger the family becomes, the more they can survive off the benefits without working. You don't need to be a genius to realise that this is detrimental to the stability of society.

Job seeker's allowance is a benefit paid to people who are looking for work and are currently unemployed. Do other countries have such a benefit? I am technically unemployed. Although I am not actually looking for a job because I am in the middle of setting up a business with a friend. However there is no income at all. I would be grateful for any assistance from the government and I suppose it would be easy for me to claim this benefit. But I am not and I have no intention of doing so. But there are plenty of others exploiting this benefit as well. Why not scrap this benefit? Benefits which can be easily exploited should be either scrapped and introduce something that cannot be exploited or try to prevent exploitation.

No comments: