Friday 23 February 2007

Labour and morals

The news papers mention about Mr Blair's holiday destinations and the celebrities that he mingles with. I find these issues much more acceptable than the fact that he can even go on holiday when there are his troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. If I was in his shoes, I would carry on doing what is required of a prime minister since I could not enjoy a holiday. Besides, although he has failed to live up to his expectations, the least he can do is to show some effort. I don't know how he can sleep confortably on holiday let alone a normal working day night. The impression he is sending to me is "I like being famous and being able to hang out with other famous people. I wish I can be in this position until I die. That would be a tough record to break for any Heads of state. The least I can do is to stay until I am forced out." His excuse for going on holiday is because of his children. This is not a good reason to go on holiday under the circumstances.

There are other people in the Labour party and who were in the Labour party who lack moral values. Peter Mandelson has been in and out of the Labour party twice for dubious behaviour. Is this morally good? I don't think so. Goodness knows how such a person can be chosen to be the UK's European Commissioner. David Blunkett has had a long affair with a married woman. This morally wrong reason alone did not seem enough for his departure. The reason for his first departure was to do with providing privileges to a nanny. Then he was able to come back. Then he resigned over more controversy. John Prescott has had numerous controversies and yet he has managed to remain the deputy prime minister. The bottom line is, if politicians do not do something that will affect their job directly, they can even be morally wrong. Again if politicians set this kind of example, what signals are they sending out to the children?

When people at such powerful positions can exercise poor moral values, you can imagine how an ordinary person may also fail to do so. We should expect politicians to set a good example.

I do hope the next Government has a better moral standard and above all can set a good example to everyone.

No comments: